Thursday, July 19, 2007

Monuments: Part I

Subtitle: How I Got Wet
Subtitle: When Will I Learn to Check the Weather Network?
Subtitle: How I Sat Under a Ledge with Other Tourists
Subtitle: The Rain Hates Me

Ummmm, so I think you get the point. I went for a walk to the monuments and it decided to pour rain. But, let's start back at the start of the day.

So, I cleaned up my old hotel room and moved to the Capitol Hilton and the company credit card :) (Thanks Sandy!) I had a suite at the last place, so it was huge, whereas this place is just a room. But this hotel is the definition of class. I came 3 hours prior to check-in and there was no problem at all getting me a room early. So, that was pretty sweet.

I settled in and unpacked my clothes, since I'm here for 7 days. Then I grabbed my tourist map and decided to walk to the monuments.

So, I start wandering. First building I came across was the AFL-CIO. For those of you who don't know that, it's the American Federation of Labour. Big business stuff.

Then I got to the White House. I was told it would be underwhelming, but it wasn't. I was quite impressed. I think it's a very nice building. Saw these people living in a tent across the street, pictures below. *cough*Hippies*cough*

There was a LOT of security around, but I didn't find it intimidating.

Then I found a nice little cafe and had lunch.

Kept walking and went by "The Ellipse." A big stretch of grass that you couldn't walk on...I'm not really sure what the significance of it is.

Then I came up to the Washington Monument. It was very cool. Very HUGE. Some nice guy asked me to take a picture of him and then he did the same for me.

Then off to the World War II Memorial. This was BEAUTIFUL. I really, really liked it.

Then it POURED RAIN. So, I didn't get to see the other monuments, but decided that I would come back another day. It finally let up a bit and I headed back to my hotel. It was really, really humid and hard to breathe. I grabbed supper on the way back and have it chilling in a sink full of ice here :P As I was coming back, this giant motorcade of cars came driving away from the White House. Was very cool.

Anyway, got back to the hotel early, but that's ok. I'm tired and it'll be good to relax for the evening and then sleep, as the conference good-ness starts early tomorrow morning.

Anyhoo, here are pictures! In no particular order, as it's hard to order the pictures on the blog.


This picture is what they had written in front of a wall of stars at the WWII memorial.


This was a quote on the wall of the WWII memorial. I just thought it was interesting.


The outside of the memorial was one of these for each state. Here's the one for Washington state.


Oh yeah! Saw this on my way home! Had to take a pic of it for Jeremy and Andrew...and Brooke if she's reading this.


Here's a picture of the motorcade. Looked cooler in real life.


Me! At the Washington Monument.

Here's the WWII Memorial.


The fountain at the WWII Memorial.


One end of the WWII Memorial. The other end said "Atlantic."


This is the wall of stars I was talking about.

Cool office building right beside the White House.


The name of the cool office building b/c I knew I would forget :P


That giant grassy area I was talking about?? I don't know what it's for or why we can't walk on it...but I do know that the poor bastards who work there didn't even get riding lawn mowers to move it with.


Walking up to the Washington Monument.

The base of the monument was surrounded by American Flags. I was thinking as I looked at it that it must be big business - US flag making.


Ummm...this is the...ummm...Andrew Jackson Statue! Had to look that one up.


Walking up to the White House.


The hippies who live across the street from the White House.


Picture from the front of the hippies.


The White House. Like I said, beautiful. I was pretty awed actually.


OK! That's all for today! I'm sure I'll make a couple other random posts. But for now, here ya go!

3 comments:

Cassandra said...

Great photos!
I too loved the mailbox!
and I feel sorry for those lawn caretaker people, yikes, I can't even begin to imagine that, I got tired of cutting grass on riding mowers at nickle. . . then again, I guess i'm just lazy!

Anonymous said...

those peace dudes are sooo cool--i want to be one when I grow up. and the pic at the beginning about the US being an "overwhelming force" in the world is totally scary.

omgz...way rad

-K

Anonymous said...

R2-D2 mailbox! Squee! I want one!