Thursday, July 26, 2007

Last Night in Washington

Well, here I am, on my final day in Washington. It's been a good trip, lots of ups and downs, but in the end, I'm glad I came, but I'm more glad to be going home.

So, spent the day at Advancement Academy again. Bleh. Not much to say about it. I was definitely itching to get out of there by the end of the day.

After we got out, I grabbed my camera and headed out to see the rest of the monuments. Well, I didn't see ALL of them, as some were a ridiculous walk away, which I wasn't about to take last night. But I did go see the Korean War, Vietnam War, and WWI memorials, along with the Lincoln Memorial. Definitely was worth my walk there and it was a great way to end my time in Washington.

So, not going to say much, just...pictures!!

Here is the spot where Martin Luther King, Jr. stood when he gave his "I have a dream" speech. Very cool to stand there and look out.


This is a statue walking up to the Vietnam War Memorial.



This is the Vietnam War Memorial. It starts out as this wall no higher than my foot and grows to a wall that is twice as high as me. Everyone who died in that war is listed in chronological order in the order they died.

This is from the Korean War Memorial - so, that's your MASH war.

Again, part of the Korean War Memorial - statues of soldiers.

This is the outside of the Lincoln Memorial. Like most everything else in this city, it's just larger than life.
The man himself, Lincoln. The statue isn't as big as the Simpsons made me think it is.
Quote above the statue of Lincoln.


In side the Lincoln Memorial is a little museum of sorts with information on Lincoln and the memorial. I found this to be a particularly interesting picture.

Here's a picture of a picture of Peter, Paul, and Mary singing at the Lincoln Memorial.

No comments: